St Helens Coalition of Disabled People is an independent and user-led charity run by and for disabled people, and provides services for people with learning difficulties, physical disabilities and mental health problems. The CDP’s main aims are to: Assist disabled people living or working in St Helens overcome barriers and actively promote independent living and empowerment.
Services for people with disabilities:
- Information and advice about Personalisation and receiving Direct Payments, as opposed to arranging assessed care needs through St Helens Council
- The 'enabling scheme' aims to promote independence and social inclusion by helping people (aged 18+) access and enjoy a range of social and leisure activities, also giving their carers a break from their caring role. Activities include weekly and weekend trips out, interlink & outreach groups and an allotment project.
- Free and confidential advocacy service to provide support, guidance representation and information for people with learning disabilities or physical disabilities.
Services for people with mental health problems:
- Information and advice about receiving Direct Payments, as opposed to arranging assessed care needs through St Helens Council
- Mental Health Advocacy service is a confidential and free service to provide support, guidance representation and information for people who experience a mental health problem. Such concerns may include housing, challenging diagnosis, securing care and support services, access rights to children in care, family court and care co-ordination.
- Support groups such as ‘Keep in Touch’ - a community based group for older people that aims to maintain social contact and progress towards increased independence (meetings every Monday and Wednesday from 10am to 3pm).
How to Access the Service:
Office opening hours are Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm and Friday 9am to 4pm. Referrals to the Enabling Scheme must be made by a Care Manager following a Community Care Assessment. For Direct Payments contact the Adviser Team (616316, 24930 or 24789), or for the Advocacy service contact Julie (758057).
St Helens Coalition of Disabled People, Tontine House (Third Floor), Church Street, St Helens, Merseyside, WA10 1BD
Type of Organisation:
local charity (no.1093297)
Comments and Suggestions
If you could please rate this page and provide any comments about this page or the site in general below, it will help us improve the site for others in the future.